Saturday, January 30, 2010

Walcast 5: The Search for Spock

Bringing you the best in music and the worst in banter since late 2009, The Walcast is back. After a 2 week leave of absence, I'm bustin' out with a two-fer this week, in honor of Feb. 2nd being on a Tuesday this year (that's a 2-fer-2/2-tuesday. for those playing at home). That's right, TWO Walcasts this week. Twice the music for the same low price. And if you act now (or even if you just sit there), the second 'cast will be a 2-fer within a 2-fer! That's right, half the bands for twice the price! We are all about bargains here at the Walcast, cuz I'm cheap. Of course, because it's the second one, it's actually above this one on the page, which means you've already seen it and spoiled my surprise. Thanks a lot. So grab a snack and allot some time on your i-schedule, and prepare for the best the interwebs have to offer in free podcasts that are run by me and called The WalCast (got to be at least the second-best anyway). Just press the arrow-looking button on the virtual player below to begin the sweet, sweet music (or download via hyperlink at the bottom). And please, leave me a comment. Please?



Belgian Beer and Catholic Girls - Siberian - Opening track from the Seattle-area bands one and only release With Me. This was my pick for album of the year in 2007.

A Whole Lot Better - Brendan Benson - Popster supreme from his 2009 album My Old Familiar Friend.

I've Done Everything For You - Rick Springfield - Yes, you read that right. C'mon, this was/is a great song!

Should to Shoulder - DeVries - First solo attempt from Travis DeVries of The Turn Ons, who are Peter Buck's favorite Seattle Band and who Spin Magazine named one of the best 100 bands you've (probably) never heard last Sept. I still have not heard them.

A Problem Like Maria - Kitchens and Bathrooms - By popular request, a tune from my old band. From our first album These Modern Nights. I didn't play on this tune, it was my predecessor, the fabulous Sean Lee, but it is one of the most ready-for-the-masses tunes we recorded.

Flavor of the Month - The Posies - Early-mid-nineties power-pop from the great Pacific Northwest.

We Want It We Want It - Boat - A random song I threw in this week because I can.

Chicago x 12 - Rogue Wave - Great song by the same band that gave you so much background music on episodes of The O.C. I never watched it. I swear. I just know these things. From Asleep at Heaven's Gate.

We Share the Same Skies - The Cribs - Good song from the latest album of this British band that now claims Johnny Marr as a member.

Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths - Marr's original band with a song from one of their best albums (there weren't any bad ones) The Queen is Dead.

Dashboard - Modest Mouse - Marr also did a stint with this Seattle-based indie group. This is from We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

Roll Up Your Sleeves - We Were Promised Jetpacks - One of my favorite new band names. From the Scottish bands debut.

In Between Days - The Cure - Classic from 1985's The Head on the Door.

Sway Your Head - We Shot the Moon - Very nice song from The Cougar and the Polar Bear EP.

Roll With It - Oasis - Rock with swagger from one of their best albums, What's the Story, Morning Glory.

Download available here. Just click the highlighted word "here" in the last sentence.


2 comments:

  1. Best show so far. I couldn't tell the difference between Brendan Benson and Rick Springfield. Which is a compliment. I like the Boat and DeVries songs and the Siberian song was better than I remembered. After hearing Maria again it just reinforces why we record to a click now. Wow, that was fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best so far? That's encouraging. I liked this one a lot when I put it together, but I second-guessed myself afterwards. Thanks for getting my back.

    ReplyDelete